Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Friday 21 October 2011

Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Uglies
Release Date: 2006
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Series: Uglies
Pages: 425
Format: Paperback
Source: Library Book
Rating: ★★★★★

"Tally can't wait to turn sixteen and become Pretty. Sixteen is the magic number that brings a transformation from a repellant Ugly into a stunningly attractive Pretty, and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be Pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the Pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn Pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever."
Source Goodreads.

I finished reading Uglies last night at about 5am, because I just couldn't sleep until I'd finished reading about this wonderfully creative world. Since closing the book I've not been able to stop thinking about it. Incredible is the main thought that springs to mind every time I look at the front cover. Scott Westerfeld has created such an imaginative world and while at the beginning of Uglies I found it hard to picture everything, by the end I was sucked in entirely. So much so that I couldn't imagine how our world worked without hoverboards. Now who's not watched Back to the Future and dreamt of riding their very own hoverboard?
I loved the characters. All of them to be honest, and yes that does include those evil ones. Tally, the main character developed so much within this book. She was brave, strong, and basically someone that I'd love to be, and to follow the story from her eyes was perfect. 
I loved how this story explained everything. Now I've read many dystopia novels and the majority of times we are forced to just accept that society as we know it is over, end of. No explanation necessary. It could be because the characters didn't know themselves, but for me I'm always left feeling a little incomplete. Uglies was nothing like that. We find out exactly why the world ended and what's scary is that it's not completely unimaginable. I think that's what makes these books so fascinating... it could happen! 
Now I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I hate a cliff-hanger ending. I love cliff-hanger chapter endings, but I despise them at the end of a well thought out novel. Though Uglies did have a cliff-hanger it was mildly satisfying. Enough was explained to leave me satisfied, but enough was left open to leave me begging for the next book, but with enough patience to wait for the sequel. If that makes any sense at all. 
Overall I loved this book. It has quickly became one of my favourite reads of 2011 and will probably remain there long enough to become a favourite of all time. I was dubious upon picking up this book just incase all the hype around it was purely just that, hype. But oh how I was wrong. Uglies is fantastic. A thought provoking novel that will leave you questioning not only their society but your own.  I recommend anyone to pick this up as I doubt that you will be disappointed. Well deserving 5 stars. Now I just cannot wait to pick up Pretties. 
The only negative I have about this book has nothing really to do with the author, and that's the cover. The copy I picked up was from the library, so ultimately was an old publication with a cover I love! But the current UK covers are awful, and to be honest I don't want them on my bookshelf. Which is awful because I would love to support this author by purchasing the whole series, but I'm held back by creepy covers. On the other hand if someone would love to send me the US covers I wouldn't turn them down. In fact I would be beyond grateful as I love them! 

See what I mean? Below are both the US covers. The one on the right is the older cover which is quickly being replaced by the covers on the left, which admittedly aren't as good as the older ones but are still fascinating. 

And below is our UK cover,


Now I know that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover... but it's just so difficult when they look like this. Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks like this. 

It's also hilarious to think that I've waffled on so much by how this cover looks, when the subject matter in this book is so superficial. haha. Oh well, I guess I didn't take as much from Uglies as I would have liked to. 

I hope you get chance to pick up this series soon, and if you've already read them I would love to know what you think. 
Happy Reading! 
Katie  

1 comment:

  1. This series is AMAZING. So unique! Tally is an awesome MC. I like the cover on the left! =)

    - Renu @ the page turner

    ReplyDelete