Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Monday 26 March 2012

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Author: Beth Revis
Release Date: March 3rd 2011 (originally Jan 11th 2011)
Publisher: Razorbill
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi
Series: Across The Universe
Pages: 398
Format: Paperback
Rating: ★★★★★

"MY
has left the life she loves
for a world 300 years away.
 

Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone. 

Yet someone is waiting for her. 
He wants to protect her - 
and more if she'll let him 

But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? 
A killer is out there - and Amy has nowhere to hide..." Source Goodreads 


Across the Universe had been high up on my wish list from just after the release date, so when I finally got my hands on it I devoured it within a few days. I loved the concept of the story, and being a sci-fi fan there wasn't any doubt in my mind that I wasn't going to enjoy it. 


Across the Universe follows the story of Amy who is frozen along with her parents for the journey to another planet which will take 300 years. Unfortunately (or fortunately for us) Amy is awoken 50 years too early with no option to be re-frozen. Amy is then forced to live on the ship along with all it's current habitants who aren't quite what she is used to, all while trying to discover who forced her to become a victim of attempted murder. 

This book was incredible. Not once did it let me down. The pacing was fast, and continuously eventful with the perfect balance between the weird and the wonderful. Weird = Everything. Wonderful = Writing and world building. The characters were well developed and I loved the split perspectives between Elder and Amy each with alternating chapters. I loved the ship, or should I say that I loved to hate the ship, and I loved the continuos mystery revolving around it's inhabitants. I won't go into too much detail about the plot it's self because this really needs to be discovered by the reader, but what I will say is not to expect too much romance. Romance is not what Across the Universe is about at all. It's about discovery, control and learning to live within a different environment, and not about getting a quick smooch. Don't get me wrong, we do get enough to calm the appetite but not too much to overtake the story. 
Overall I loved this story and I more than recommend it to anyone, if that is possible. I cannot wait to get my hands on the second in the series and I can safely and happily say that I am hooked. Now I am only curious as to why you are still reading this review and no going out and ordering yourself a copy?! 

Happy Reading, 
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment